Rental cabin fire believed to be accidental


SAUTEE, Ga. – A fire that completely destroyed a rental cabin Sunday evening is determined to be accidental.

White County Fire Department was called to the scene around 10 p.m. When the first units arrived, the cabin at 202 Clarice Lane was fully involved.

Occupants of the cabin advised E-911 Dispatch that the side of the cabin was on fire from an outdoor fireplace and extending to the exterior front and side walls. Once fire units arrived on scene, the fire had spread to the interior. Mutual aid was requested from the Habersham Fire Department and the Lee Arrendale Fire Brigade.

Firefighters were on scene for approximately three hours fighting the fire and remained on scene for an additional two hours to ensure the fire did not spread to adjacent rental cabins and homes. Thankfully, no injuries were reported.

The Red Cross was called in for the occupants; however, the management of the rental company assisted the occupants by providing another cabin for the occupants.

State Fire Investigator Brian Smith was called to the scene, and the incident is deemed accidental and is presently under investigation.  It is probable that the outdoor fireplace may have traveled through the flue and in between the walls of the main residence (attached) thus causing the structure to be a total loss.


Fetch Your News is a hyper local news outlet that covers Dawson, Lumpkin, White, Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, Union, Towns and Murray counties as well as Cherokee County in N.C. FYN attracts 300,000+ page views per month, 3.5 million impressions per month and approximately 15,000 viewers per week on and up to 60,000 Facebook page reach. If you would like to follow up-to-date local events in any of those counties, please visit us at

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to Top