WHITE COUNTY, Ga. — Thanksgiving is the leading day of the year for home fires involving cooking equipment.
White County Public Safety Department has published the following list of safety tips to lessen your chance of a home fire this Thanksgiving.
- Keep fryers off decks, out of garages and a safe distance from trees and
- Make sure your turkey is thawed and dry before cooking.
- Don’t leave food cooking unattended.
- Keep anything flammable away from the stovetop.
- Keep kids away from the stove.
- Test your smoke alarms to ensure they work.
- Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove.
- In case of an oven fire, turn the oven off and keep the door closed until it is cool.
- Do NOT put water on a grease fire. Instead smother it with a pan lid or
throw salt or baking soda on the fire.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen where it is easily accessible.
- Prevent electrical fires by not overloading your outlets.
FROM ALL OF US WE WISH YOU A SAFE
AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!