WHITE COUNTY, Ga. — White County and the City of Cleveland are exploring the possibility of consolidation of fire services. County Commission Chairman Travis Turner made the announcement during Monday’s regular Board of Commissioners meeting.
“It’s important to note that both agencies have an obligation to taxpayers to operate as efficiently as possible and reduce any duplication of services,” Turner said. Mayor Josh Turner said the City “looks forward to continuing the cooperative nature that we have shared for many years.”
Both governments have directed their staffs to run the numbers to see if this will be a win-win situation for everyone. Chairman Turner said he expects to a decision can be reached this fall. If an agreement is reached then implementation could begin in July 2022.
Commissioners quickly disposed of a hotly-debated issue that caused some concern at May’s Board meeting by voting unanimously to scrap a proposed nuisance ordinance.
Dr. David Drake, Director of Alumni and Church Relations at Truett McConnell University’s accepted a plaque in recognition and celebration of the accomplishments and contributions of the university over the past 75 years and proclaimed Friday, July 23, 2021 as “Truett McConnell University Day in White County.”
The Board also:
- Approved the land use application of Larry Adams to redistrict 54.62 acres on Claude Sims Road in Cleveland from A-1 (Agriculture Forestry) to R-1 (Residential Single-Family) for the purpose of constructing 47-48 residential units;
- Denied a request by Melanie Morton and Maria Hurtado for a conditional use permit to operate a short-term rental at Hwy. 71 Alternate in Helen;
- Approved the request for a land use application and redistricting from C-1(Community Commercial to R-1 (Residential Single Family) filed by Russell Pruitt for property located at 673 Paradise Valley Road in Cleveland;
- Heard a presentation by Chamber of Commerce President Mary Beth Truelove regarding a funding increase request for FY2022 but took no action in lieu of receiving additional information;
- Awarded a contract for fertilizer treatments to Asbestos Road park ball fields, Yonah Preserve Ballfield Complex and Tesnatee Sports Complex to True Green in the amount of $13,260;
- Approved a FY 2022 with Legacy Link for nutritional program services at the White County Senior Center;
- Approved bids for the road striping contract under 2021 Georgia Department of Transportation Local Maintenance Improvement Grant Safety Action Plan.
Fetch Your News is a hyper local news outlet that covers Dawson, Lumpkin, White, Forsyth, Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, Union, Towns and Murray counties as well as Cherokee County in N.C. FYN attracts 300,000+ page views per month, 3.5 million impressions per month and approximately 15,000 viewers per week on FYNTV.com and up to 60,000 Facebook page reach. If you would like to follow up-to-date local events in any of those counties, please visit us at FetchYourNews.com