WHITE COUNTY, Ga. – During Monday’s meeting, the Board of Commissioners agreed with Tax Commissioner Cindy Cannon that an expansion of her office is long overdue and they directed staff to begin soliciting bids on the design phase of the project.
The Tax Commissioners Office collects property taxes, financial information and motor vehicle titles. Some of the records cannot be stored offsite and many records must be retained permanently. The office is currently 2,444 square feet. Cannon has proposed an expansion of an additional 1,936 square feet.
Commissioners also directed staff to begin to advertise for public hearings on a proposed nuisance ordinance governing the maintenance of property in the unincorporated area of the county, including open storage of inoperable motor vehicles alongside roadways and in the front yard where they are visible.
The Board tabled renewal of a joint use agreement with the Board of Education for use of athletic facilities and agreed to allow the COVID emergency sick leave pay for county employees to expire on Mar. 31.
In other business, commissioners:
- Denied a land use application request by Earl Buse at 1627 Mill Creek Trail in Cleveland;
- Tabled a land use application request by Sandra Durick at 306 Scenic Drive in Sautee Nacoochee for one week;
- Approved the land use application request by Debi Frye at 16 Windy Acres Road in Cleveland;
- Approved the land use application request by Tony Greenway at 111 Jenny’s Cove Road in Cleveland;
- Approved the land use application request by Haley Stapleton at 570 Ostrich Drive in Cleveland.
Fetch Your News is a hyper local news outlet that covers Dawson, Lumpkin, White, Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, Union, Towns and Murray counties as well as Cherokee County in N.C. FYN attracts 300,000+ page views per month, 3.5 million impressions per month and approximately 15,000 viewers per week on FYNTV.com and up to 60,000 Facebook page reach. If you would like to follow up-to-date local events in any of those counties, please visit us at FetchYourNews.com