White County first responders answered six calls in less than a 72-hour period beginning last Thursday.
The following is a report filed by White County Public Safety Director David Murphy:
THURSDAY, JULY 20
7:30 P.M. Fire personnel were dispatched to a camper/hiker in medical distress. Fire Chief Norman Alexander requested that DNR be contacted to mobilize their helicopter for assistance in extricating the patient. Fire personnel used their ATV to access the patient which took about 1 hour; EMS evaluated the patient. Fire and EMS prepared the patient to be hoisted by the DNR helicopter to the awaiting White County ambulance then taken to Union General. The entire operation took approximately 6 hours to complete.
FRIDAY, JULY 21
4:30 P.M. Fire personnel were dispatched to the report of a lost hiker on Whitney Gap Shelter. The young hiker had become disoriented and took a slight wrong turn. Fire personnel, along with Department of Natural Resources Officer Anne Wiley, located the hiker and brought him out to the Incident Command location. The operation took approximately 3 hours.
SATURDAY, JULY 22
1:30 P.M. White County Personnel with Automatic Aid from the City of Cleveland responded to an automatic alarm at Gateway Health Center. Residents were being evacuated. Upon arrival, employees advised that they could smell gas. Prior to fire department arrival, employees opened doors and turned off the gas to the facility. Fire personnel used a gas monitor and found no traces of gas. Employees were instructed to have their gas company come and look at the system prior to use.
7 P.M.White County fire units responded with Automatic Aid to the City of Helen Post Office where it was reported that smoke was visible. Upon arrival of the first Helen units, it was discovered that a trash pile had been set on fire. No fire to the actual building.
White County Fire department along with Automatic Aid from the City of Cleveland responded to the report of a structure fire on Mill Creek Trail. Further information provided was that it was an HVAC fire. The homeowner’s had doused the fire with water and had everyone leave the home. Upon arrival, it was confirmed that an HVAC unit had malfunctioned, There was no fire in the building itself. Fire personnel advised the homeowner that the HVAC would need to be inspected and repaired by a qualified technician prior to any use.
White County Fire along with Automatic Aid from the City of Helen responded to a fire at the Dukes Creek Falls area. After investigation, it was determined that what was thought to be fire was actually steam from the recent rain.